Blossoming globally in the past few years, Korean beauty (K-Beauty) not only dispensed new products but also provided new perspectives and approaches to daily skincare. Today we’re breaking down the best skincare tips from Korean beauty that have transformed our routines — and our skin! — for the better.
Double-cleansing is the first step to clear skin.
Popularized by Korean beauty, double-cleansing is the method by which you use two types of cleansers at the beginning of your routine: one oil-based cleanser (e.g. cleansing balms, cleansing oils) and one water-based cleanser (e.g. foam cleansers, gel cleansers). The method follows the “like dissolves like” principle, removing oil-based and water-based gunk from your face.
The double-cleansing method reaps several benefits:
- It assures your skin turns out clean without stripping the good oils and moisture in your face (as long as you stick to pH-friendly level cleansers, of course).
- If your skin leans toward the oilier side, cleansing with oils helps to regulate your sebum production and adjust it to a more balanced level.
- Cleansing your face not only becomes easier, but also more thorough. Your pores are less likely to become clogged with buildup of dirt and other residue.
The key to soft, plump skin is to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
One of the most prominent differences in Korean skincare versus others is that their approach centers on nourishing and hydrating the skin.
This is why they have less active ingredients (e.g. retinol, hydroxy acids) in their products. Most serums, essences, and ampoules are formulated with the aim of keeping your skin moisturized and healthy so that it would be less prone to damage.
The benefits of a moisturizing, hydrating routine include:
- Active ingredients absorb better when your skin is primed with a hydrating toner or nourishing essence.
- Your skin will be less susceptible to dehydration and its not-so-appealing consequences, like acne and/or flaky skin.
Sunscreen is a multi-tasking must-have.
Diligent sunscreen application and staying under the shade are some factors into maintaining youthful skin. From elegantly formulated sunscreen products to UV-blocking parasols, sun protection products are prevalent in Korea, which is why they make it a pivotal part of their routine.
Applying sunscreen diligently has a lot of benefits like:
- Protecting your skin from damage induced by UV rays. Regardless of how much melanin your skin produces, without proper sun protection, your skin can be more susceptible to sun burns or, at worst, skin cancer.
- Keeping your skin youthful. As an antioxidant, sunscreen helps your skin fight against premature signs of aging and keeps your skin looking radiant. If you want to avoid dullness and early wrinkles, sunscreen will do more wonders than any anti-aging cream out there.
What is your favorite skincare tip from Asian Beauty? Let us know in the comments!